12.17.2008

Coorg journey!





December saw me planning for a trip… turned into a well deserved break that I needed from a few memories, moments that had come too close to me, even before I realized. I needed to think fresh and new, so 7 of us decided that Coorg was the destination.

13th was to be the day. 5’o clock was the first pick up… guess most of the guys could not pull themselves from their beds on that frosty morning, so as usual we were late by a full one hour!!!!
Ultimately, we set out at 6’o clock. It was stinging wintry weather, our window sheets rolled up, we couldn’t help but take a catnap.

Srirangapattana saw us stop for a “kaapi” to chase away the drowsiness. We could sniff the early morning potent brew of the coffee and the attendant got us our “lotas” of kaapi. I see the tradition of pouring the kaapi back and froth still going strong, especially when it’s a filter coffee, in every south Indian house, including mine. The froth somehow adds to that splendor of the coffee. The thick lather, the creamy golden color and the strong aroma- all of this was in my cuppa coffee… hmmm!! True ecstasy in every way.

Our next stop for breakfast was at Mandya-the sugar city of Karnataka. Our tables were adorned with an array of South Indian Breakfast delicacies. Masala Dosas, Rava Idlys with carroty shreds, the golden brown Vadas and the piping hot Sambar and freshly grated coconut chutney! I bet none of the delicacies are complete with the S&C.
Getting back to our places, we got started again. The journey was vibrant. Scenes of a herd of cattle straying back from the fields, smoke from the cooking fires of the rural exposed brick houses, ladies in multi hued drapes carrying firewood, children clinging onto them, aromas of the rural flavor- the air was laden with all these.
Minutes later, I was fast asleep with pictures of the by-gone flocking my dreams!!!

No comments: