10.17.2010

PENNED DOWN : Dandiya Raas


The time of the year i always wait for :-) Navarathri..I just love this festival. I dont really celebrate Navarathri, but i make it a point to attend the Dandiya Raas, where ever and with who ever. Dance, I believe runs through my blood, its my stressbuster.

Palace Grounds was the venue... its soo surprising how the Gujju community comes together for this festival. I havent seen our own community people gathering up to celebrate something, ever. I mean, it was soo magnetic.

There were people from all age groups. Little tots to the teeth shivering mature crowd, all clothed in multihues, and adorned with jewellery. The color palette was large... there were a million shades in every other color. My soul was dyed with all the colors. and then there was music, which was scintillating. The very sound of the drums would put ur legs to shake and body to swing. I just couldnt wait for them to announce the time of the dandiya-raas. and when it did, woahhh.. the Crowd couldnt hold onto their own soul and mind. each individual had his own style of dance... For me, Dance is my Divinity.

as Albert Einstein said 'Dancers are the Athletes fo God!!'

The magical rhythm of the drums, with the alternate tapping of the sticks, the Gujju songs, and the echoes of the ghungroos, was mesmerising. The crowd never seemed to get tired at all. Swaps between Garba and Dandiya were constantly seen. But i must admit, it is the Garba which is more tiring than the Dandiya. The music took off with the moderate Pace, and after every 45 min, the speed would increase, and so would be the energy of the dancers. The vigor and the verve were on a constant rise, and after more than 2 hours of dance, we were given a break. We decided to head out, Had i stayed there for another 2 hours, i would have also managed to see the sunrise!!

whatta night to remember.. a night i wait for every year!

No comments: