10.29.2011

FOOD : Sweet Bites : Rabdi


This is like one of those sweets that is sooo sooo North Indian.

There is something that I hate about Milk, and something more about all the Milk Derivatives which I love, Be it Paneer, Cheese or any sweet. Milk reduced, delicately sweetened and flavored with the king and queen of all spices - Saffron and Cardamom - Sounds like a bit of heaven in your own kitchen right!? Rabdi or Basundi is a sweet that I simply love when combined with Puri's or Chapathi's and so does my husband. My husband has a sweet tooth anyways, and for sometime now, I have developed one too. And there are lots of times when i Love to surprise him with food. So this Diwali, after living in Germany for long, I thought I'll treat him to this rich and exotic sweet dish, which we hadn't savored for long. So I made this and refrigerated it before he got home and Voila!! He loved it!! The Rabdi was thick, rich and luscious.

I bought 2 liters of milk, with 3.5% fat content for this.

Procedure:
  • In a non-stick pan, begin to boil the milk.
  • Add a few strands of saffron at this stage.
  • Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat, and keep stirring it.
  • It will take atleast 30 minutes for it to give you a feeling that the milk has really started to reduce.
  • You need to constantly keep stirring this, not continuously but every 5 minutes at least.
  • Once it starts reducing, add Sugar - depends on how sweet you want it to be. You will notice at this stage, the rabdi will get a slightly loose consistency, cause the sugar will dissolve.
  • Add cardamom Powder at this stage, and a few more strands of Saffron to it.
  • Remove from heat and give it a slight whisk with your handblender, and the entire thing will come together beautifully.
  • Add sliced Blanched Almonds and Pistachios and refrigerate.
Now head right to your kitchen and get some Rabdi for yourself... Trust me, Puri's are an excellent combo with this!!!


No comments: