11.11.2011

FOOD : A Snack : Ragada Patties

Though the rainy day brings along with it, all the sluggishness there is something about the rainy day that i Love. The rain is soo refreshing, and the breeze that comes along just braces me up with all the romance in life. I find more delight to dance in the dampness than the bright sun!! :) and My love for all the tangy Indian food shoots up.
Konstanz has been soaked up with rains off late and the skies have been grey for long now. Saturday as usual started with my breakfast, and what followed was the usual lunch plan... Thinking about what I could cook up. I had to also step out to do all my shopping and be back. So i knew It had to be something quick and nothing elaborate. I had some soaked Dry peas luckily and that's when images of 'Chat shops' serving all the flavorful tangy chats back in India flounced my mind. So all i did before stepping out was Boiled 4 potatoes along with the soaked peas in my pressure cooker and left. Yes... I also soaked some tamarind.

Did I continue peacefully with my shopping later? No, how could i... when i knew I would go home and feast on 'Ragada Patties'-the perfect mix of sweetness, tanginess and spice. I only came home, put all the grocery in place and got to a super start.
Here's what i had before I started
Patties:
4 Boiled Potatoes
Chilly Powder
Coriander leaves
Salt

Ragada:
Boiled Peas-had almost 2 cups of soaked Dry Peas
1-2 Garlic
Chilly Powder
Turmeric powder

Chutney: 
Tamarind-Half fistful soaked
Jaggery-depends on how sweet you want it to be-Pls don't substitute with sugar
Coriander Leaves/Coriander Powder
Salt

Other Ingredients to be kept ready: 
Chilly Powder
Chat Powder
Some Sev/Bhujiya (noodle like snack made of Besan/GramFlour)
Coriander leaves finely chopped
1 Onion Finely, Finely chopped

                                                                     PROCEDURE
Patties:
Mash potatoes, add little chilly powder, salt and finely chopped coriander leaves and make a mix. Make round shaped balls, press them slightly to form Patties and shallow fry them on Low-Medium Heat till golden brown on both sides. You could have the 1st round of Patties in the center and push them to the rim of the pan, and put the 2nd round of patties at the center. You will have crispier patties when you fry them longer.

Ragada:
Heat butter in pan, add chopped Garlic(this is my addition- i like the flavor), little chilly powder and then the boiled Peas and Turmeric powder for the color. Add salt and give it a good boil. Let it not be too thick-add water accordingly.

Chutney:
Grind all the Ingredients together in a blender and you could add up any of the ingredients to suit your taste accordingly. Dilute it a little for a watery consistency, but let the flavors not weaken.

Assembly:
01. Place 2 patties on the plate.
02. Pour 2-3 ladles of Ragada over it.
03. Throw in some finely chopped onion, coriander leaves, and sprinkle some Chat Powder, Chilly Powder.
04. Pour on some chutney(as per your taste quotient).
05. Add sev in the end over and above everything.

Shut down all windows, have your room all dark and cozy, get onto your favourite Movie and Settle down with your plate of Ragada Patties... 

No comments: